Orthodox Observer - June 1999
Archdiocesan Cathedral Announces Renovation Plans
NEW YORK-. Holy Trinity Archdiocesan Cathedral, the seat of the Greek Orthodox Church in the United States, will launch a renovation program at its East 74th Street location at the end of June.
Holy Trinity is the second-oldest Greek Orthodox church in the United States, and celebrated its centenary in 1992. The cornerstone of the present building on East 74th Street was laid on Sept. 14, 1931, and the church opened on March 4, 1932. The Church was consecrated on Oct. 22,1933.
The title of the building was conveyed to the Archdiocese on Aug. 8, 1961, and Holy Trinity became the Archdiocesan Cathedral.
The interior of the Byzantine edifice is decorated with mosaics and icons in the traditional Orthodox style. Planned improvements include repairing the interior ceiling and walls, painting the entire church interior, upgrading the air conditioning and sound systems, refurbishing the existing mosaics, chandeliers and church artifacts,
restoring the iconography, and repairing the art glass windows.
Archbishop Spyridon, who was enthroned at the Cathedral in 1996, referred to Holy Trinity's congregation, and all followers of the Greek Orthodox faith, as "the rock on which the church is built, and complimented the Greek-American community on its commitment to its faith and culture.
"The beauty of the Cathedral, a jewel of Greek Orthodox style in the United States, is a symbol of the faith and commitment of its congregation."
Repairs to the Cathedral are estimated at $750,000, a large part of which the Cathedral hopes to raise from donations by the Greek-American community and its many friends.
Donations may be made to" The Cathedral of the Holy Trinity Renovation Fund, 319 East 74th St., New York, New York 10021. Questions regarding donations may be directed to the Cathedral Office at (212) 288-3215.
[ Orthodox Observer - June 1999 - p. 3 ]